Idles at 2000 RPM
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My daughter's 1996 Mustang 3.8 V6 won't idle down. She had it into a shop yesterday and they replaced the TPS to no avail. They now say she has to replace the air idle control valve. Are they searching for straws? It idles at about 1600 on a cold start, rising to 2000 RPM when hot. Any suggestions?
Well, it could be the idle air valve is not closing all the way. However, try this simple fix first to see if it is working. Disconnect the battery for about 10 to 15 minutes. This will clear the car's memory. Reconnect and start car. The car will now have to relearn how to idle. If your problem is the same, then the valve may be malfunctioning.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive maintenance section and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?