Idles at 2000 RPM
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My daughter's 1996 Mustang 3.8 V6 won't idle down. She had it into a shop yesterday and they replaced the TPS to no avail. They now say she has to replace the air idle control valve. Are they searching for straws? It idles at about 1600 on a cold start, rising to 2000 RPM when hot. Any suggestions?
Well, it could be the idle air valve is not closing all the way. However, try this simple fix first to see if it is working. Disconnect the battery for about 10 to 15 minutes. This will clear the car's memory. Reconnect and start car. The car will now have to relearn how to idle. If your problem is the same, then the valve may be malfunctioning.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Protect yourself from buying a lemon of a home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?