Idles at 2000 RPM
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My daughter's 1996 Mustang 3.8 V6 won't idle down. She had it into a shop yesterday and they replaced the TPS to no avail. They now say she has to replace the air idle control valve. Are they searching for straws? It idles at about 1600 on a cold start, rising to 2000 RPM when hot. Any suggestions?
Well, it could be the idle air valve is not closing all the way. However, try this simple fix first to see if it is working. Disconnect the battery for about 10 to 15 minutes. This will clear the car's memory. Reconnect and start car. The car will now have to relearn how to idle. If your problem is the same, then the valve may be malfunctioning.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?