Butcher Block Counter Tops
The Natural Handyman
My Story: Updating Kitchen Cupboards
Kitchen Remodeling and Your Budget
We're building a butcher block rolling cabinet and would like to know if yellow pine is okay to use. I've been reading that maple is the best. However, we were given a huge piece of yellow pine, so being able to use this will save quite a bit of money. Unfortunately, we do not know what type of glue was used on it, so that is another factor to consider. We have done everything and are ready to apply the oil, so I hope all of our work has not been a waste of time
LS from Allen, TX
Yellow pine is relatively soft when compared to maple. That's why it is not the first choice for cutting boards or countertops. It gets cut, dented and dinged more easily. However, if you promise not to use it as a cutting board, it should offer serviceable use for many years. If it starts looking bad, you can easily sand the top down, re-oil it and it's restored to like-new condition!
The glue is irrelevant, since you will not be eating it or preparing food directly on it. Virtually all wood-type glues, once dry, are inert and not considered a health hazard. Once you apply the cutting board oil, you'll be fine.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here naturalhandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links naturalhandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page naturalhandyman.com/friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at naturalhandyman.com/contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at naturalhandyman.com/copyright
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?