Ask Bob: Missing Power Steering
I have a older GMC Yukon. Last night, the power steering just went out and I had to "muscle" it to get it home and into my garage. The power steering fluid is fine and the belts are all working. What else can I check to try to isolate the problem prior to taking it to a mechanic? Thanks for your anticipated help.
Well, it could be the power steering pump gave out. It is basically just a simple hydraulic pump system. Unfortunately, you can test it, but it might get messy as the pump should make a good amount of pressure when it is working. However, you can open the cap and look inside with the motor running. You should be able to see the fluid moving around some. The other thing to do would be to remove the outlet hose and see if there is good pressure/flow there (that is where the messy part comes in). Also be careful!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.