Ask Bob: Missing Power Steering
I have a older GMC Yukon. Last night, the power steering just went out and I had to "muscle" it to get it home and into my garage. The power steering fluid is fine and the belts are all working. What else can I check to try to isolate the problem prior to taking it to a mechanic? Thanks for your anticipated help.
Well, it could be the power steering pump gave out. It is basically just a simple hydraulic pump system. Unfortunately, you can test it, but it might get messy as the pump should make a good amount of pressure when it is working. However, you can open the cap and look inside with the motor running. You should be able to see the fluid moving around some. The other thing to do would be to remove the outlet hose and see if there is good pressure/flow there (that is where the messy part comes in). Also be careful!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Protect yourself from buying a lemon of a home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?