Gasoline Shelf Life
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I understand that stored gasoline looses its octane rating over time. Will purchasing a higher-octane gasoline for storage increase the shelf life of the gasoline? If so, for how long? Since I'm not really storing gas for a long time, I don't intend to add a gas stabilizer.
It's not so much that it will lose octane rating. Instead, it will varnish, gum, and/or oxidize over time. I can tell you an old biker trick that we use when putting our rides to sleep for the winter. Simply add a double dose of STP fuel treatment (red bottle). I have been doing that for about 15 years in all my motorcycles and never have a problem in the spring when it comes time to start them up.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?