courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We are having a problem with our '98 Passport. It usually happens at night when we have the headlights and radio on. The brake light and battery light will blink on as if there is trouble, and as you push the power window button, the headlights dim. We suspect an alternator or battery problem. The alternator looks difficult to remove to have tested. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I think your assessment is correct. It sounds like an alternator issue. If the battery is easier to remove, have that checked and load tested first. If it tests okay, then I think the alternator might need to be replaced.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?