courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
We are having a problem with our '98 Passport. It usually happens at night when we have the headlights and radio on. The brake light and battery light will blink on as if there is trouble, and as you push the power window button, the headlights dim. We suspect an alternator or battery problem. The alternator looks difficult to remove to have tested. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I think your assessment is correct. It sounds like an alternator issue. If the battery is easier to remove, have that checked and load tested first. If it tests okay, then I think the alternator might need to be replaced.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?