Laredo Barbecued Pot Roast with Cornmeal Dumplings
courtesy of Chet's Crock
Avoiding Dried Out Slow Cooker Meats
Slow Cooker Turkey
All-Day Slow Cooker Recipes
Inexpensive Slow Cooker Liners?
Laredo Barbecued Pot Roast
1 3-pound cross rib beef pot roast
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 Tbs. cider vinegar
1 Tbs. prepared mustard
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Italian herb seasoning, crumbled
1/4 tsp. pepper
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Trim excess fat from beef; brown in skillet, remove and reserve. Saute onion and garlic until soft in pan drippings. Place pot roast in slow cooker with onion and garlic. Combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, Italian herbs and pepper in a small bowl; pour over beef, cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours or until beef is tender when pierced with fork. Remove beef to a heated platter and keep warm. Turn heat control to high while making dumplings. Combine milk and vegetable oil in a medium sized bowl. Sift 3/4 cup flour and cornmeal, baking powder and salt over. Stir just until mixture is moist. (Dough will be soft) Drop onto hot food in slow cooker. Cook on high for 30 minutes or until puffy light. (No peeking or the dumplings won't puff up.)
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com
Take the Next Step
- For all things "Groceries & Food," please visit the Dollar Stretcher library section.
- Visit our Pinterest board for Smart Couponing and Grocery Budgeting.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Do you have an idea that wasn't included in the article? Tell us about it: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- A great way to save for your kids' college TDS Recommends
- Helping your parents move out of the family homestead
- DIY kids' haircuts
- Flying with babies
- Do I need a will?
- The quest to find cheap food for baby
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in May
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator