Laredo Barbecued Pot Roast with Cornmeal Dumplings
courtesy of Chet's Crock
Avoiding Dried Out Slow Cooker Meats
Slow Cooker Turkey
All-Day Slow Cooker Recipes
Inexpensive Slow Cooker Liners?
Laredo Barbecued Pot Roast
1 3-pound cross rib beef pot roast
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 Tbs. cider vinegar
1 Tbs. prepared mustard
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Italian herb seasoning, crumbled
1/4 tsp. pepper
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Trim excess fat from beef; brown in skillet, remove and reserve. Saute onion and garlic until soft in pan drippings. Place pot roast in slow cooker with onion and garlic. Combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, Italian herbs and pepper in a small bowl; pour over beef, cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours or until beef is tender when pierced with fork. Remove beef to a heated platter and keep warm. Turn heat control to high while making dumplings. Combine milk and vegetable oil in a medium sized bowl. Sift 3/4 cup flour and cornmeal, baking powder and salt over. Stir just until mixture is moist. (Dough will be soft) Drop onto hot food in slow cooker. Cook on high for 30 minutes or until puffy light. (No peeking or the dumplings won't puff up.)
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com
Take the Next Step
- Your groceries cost less when you get cash back! Checkout 51 can show you how!
- We are always finding new ways to help you trim food costs. Visit our food & groceries section each week to get tips for keeping more of your hard-earned dollars in your pocket.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Sizzling savings: The 10 best deals in July
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 fun, family-friendly kitchen activities that will save you money
- Save money sending your child to college
- 200+ ideas for frugal summertime (or anytime!) fun
- This week's Readers' Tips