Electric Window Failure
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Auto Repairs for Less
Worn Out Window Motors
The right front passenger window is stuck in the up position in my Explorer. Neither the driver's switch nor the passenger's switch will lower the window. When either switch is pushed, a slight drop in voltage is noted on the gauge. All of the other windows operate normally, and there is one 30-amp fuse for all the windows. I have visually checked both door switches and they are clean (no dirt or spillage). Is there any other check prior to taking off the panel and checking the power to the motor? Thanks.
Unfortunately, I think the motor is where you need to check. If you see a drop in system voltage when you press the button, and the window does not move, then that would indicate that either there is a short or the motor is stuck.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- How to build a contemporary outdoor fireplace
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Tips for taking in a renter
- How little things can make your décor pop
- Building a winter green house
- A natural approach to eliminating pet odors
- Cost-effective solutions to rid your home of black snakes
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?