Oil in the Radiator
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
As I opened the radiator cap, I noticed that a small amount of oil was accumulated on the radiator cap. The water in the coolant reservoir is also oily. What could be the problem and what is the remedy aside from overhauling? Is water entering the engine? Emission of smoke is noticeable especially during high speeds. I temporarily drained my radiator and poured in Whiz metal sealer. I'll observe it for one week.
It sounds like you have a head gasket leak. There are some products on the market that claim to be a pour in fix for something like this. However, I have never tried one, so I do not have any first-hand knowledge if they work or not.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive maintenance section and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?