Oil in the Radiator
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
As I opened the radiator cap, I noticed that a small amount of oil was accumulated on the radiator cap. The water in the coolant reservoir is also oily. What could be the problem and what is the remedy aside from overhauling? Is water entering the engine? Emission of smoke is noticeable especially during high speeds. I temporarily drained my radiator and poured in Whiz metal sealer. I'll observe it for one week.
It sounds like you have a head gasket leak. There are some products on the market that claim to be a pour in fix for something like this. However, I have never tried one, so I do not have any first-hand knowledge if they work or not.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?