Oil in the Radiator
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
As I opened the radiator cap, I noticed that a small amount of oil was accumulated on the radiator cap. The water in the coolant reservoir is also oily. What could be the problem and what is the remedy aside from overhauling? Is water entering the engine? Emission of smoke is noticeable especially during high speeds. I temporarily drained my radiator and poured in Whiz metal sealer. I'll observe it for one week.
It sounds like you have a head gasket leak. There are some products on the market that claim to be a pour in fix for something like this. However, I have never tried one, so I do not have any first-hand knowledge if they work or not.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?