Replacing an Exhaust and Catalytic Converter
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1990 Plymouth Sundance. There is a slight exhaust smell when I'm driving with the windows down. I don't smell it with the windows up. One day, I looked under the car and saw that the muffler and the pipes had holes in them. I can't see the catalytic converter, so I don't know if it has any holes in it. I am about to replace my exhaust pipes and muffler and was wondering if I should replace my catalytic converter with a high flow or just keep it off. Thanks for your time.
It is illegal to remove the catalytic converter. You will not pass your local inspection, and if a policeman decides to do a spot check, you could get a ticket and have your car impounded. Not knowing where you live, the laws vary from state to state. However, most states are becoming more alike with their rules on catalytic converter replacement.
Additionally, you don't need a high flow cat on the Sundance. It's only a 4-cylinder and not a very high performance engine either. Just a regular after-market replacement should work well.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?