Safe Oven Cleaner
by Jonni McCoy
Money Saving Oven Cleaner
Degreasing Range Hood Filters
Oven Cleaning Without Harsh Chemicals
Does anyone have a homemade "recipe" for oven cleaner? I hate using that awful chemical stuff and thought maybe someone could help! Thanks!
There are a few ways to clean tough areas without the chemicals. I use a citrus solvent cleaner that cuts grease very well. You can buy these in most supermarkets now, in the cleanser area, and they are in hardware stores. One brand I like is Citra-Solv.
Another cleanser recipe is to combine 1 tsp. each of liquid soap, borax, lemon juice and vinegar with one-quart warm water. Let this sit on the grease for 30 minutes, and then scrub.
To avoid the hard work of cleaning baked-on grease, wipe the oven after each splattery bake. Cover foods with lids or foil to avoid the messes. Also try low-temperature baking with greasy foods and roasts, which causes less splattering of grease than high-temperature baking.
Jonni McCoy is the author of several frugal books, including Miserly Moms and Miserly Meals. You can visit her website at MiserlyMoms.com.
Discuss "Safe Oven Cleaner" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- What's that little switch on my ceiling fan?
- Tips for cleaning home siding
- How to decorate a backyard gazebo Readers' Solutions
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?