Safe Oven Cleaner
by Jonni McCoy
Does anyone have a homemade "recipe" for oven cleaner? I hate using that awful chemical stuff and thought maybe someone could help! Thanks!
There are a few ways to clean tough areas without the chemicals. I use a citrus solvent cleaner that cuts grease very well. You can buy these in most supermarkets now, in the cleanser area, and they are in hardware stores. One brand I like is Citra-Solv.
Another cleanser recipe is to combine 1 tsp. each of liquid soap, borax, lemon juice and vinegar with one-quart warm water. Let this sit on the grease for 30 minutes, and then scrub.
To avoid the hard work of cleaning baked-on grease, wipe the oven after each splattery bake. Cover foods with lids or foil to avoid the messes. Also try low-temperature baking with greasy foods and roasts, which causes less splattering of grease than high-temperature baking.
Jonni McCoy is the author of several frugal books, including Miserly Moms and Miserly Meals. You can visit her website at MiserlyMoms.com.
Discuss "Safe Oven Cleaner" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?