Mysteriously Disappearing Water
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I own an '88 New Yorker that runs and drives great, except for one problem. I can fill the radiator full. As a result, I get heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, but then all the fluid in the radiator disappears. It isn't leaking out on the ground either. Where is it going? What will happen as an end result of this problem? And how do I fix it if possible? I live in Minnesota. Therefore, the car has been parked for a few months now, as I couldn't drive it without heat. The gage will show the car overheating also. Please help me as soon as possible. I really need to drive it. Thank you.
If you fill the radiator and 20 minutes later it is gone, there should be a large puddle of water on the ground from the leak. If not, then it is leaking into the engine. Check the oil dipstick for signs of water (it will look like milk or mayonnaise in the oil). If the dipstick is clear, then it is blowing out the exhaust. Does your exhaust smell like anti-freeze? If either of these is true, then I have some bad news. Either there is a bad head gasket or a crack in the head or engine block somewhere.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?