Replacing Access Stairway Springs
What's the best/safest way to replace a broken spring on a folding attic stairway?
JR from Little Rock, AR
You must replace the spring when it's under the least tension, which is when the door is up. So unless you have an alternate access to the attic, you'll need a helper to hold the door closed while you work on it and, if necessary, get you the tools you forgot!
You'll have to use a vicegrip or fabricate a bent piece of steel rod as a "puller" for the spring to give it that last bit of stretch. Wear eye protection and gloves in case you accidentally let the spring go.
Depending on the stairs and the amount of working space you have, it is sometimes helpful to partially disassemble the steps. However, if you do, the door will no longer stay open when pulled down, since the weight of the stairs counterbalances the springs.
Since one broken spring usually means the other is not far behind, replacing both at the same time might be a good idea!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Tricks to painting interior trim
- Affordable chimney care
- Do-it-yourself brick walkways
- The pros and cons of having a homeowners association
- 5 places to find free firewood
- Homemade detergent for HE washing machines
- 5 best budget decorating tips under $20
- How to make garden stones
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?