Problematic Garage Door Opener
Garage Door Remotes
Natural Handyman: Removing an Overhead Garage Door
I have a problem with my Genie Intellicode garage door opener with chain glide. It will open with the transmitter, but it will not close with the transmitter. It will close by holding the wall button, but if I let go of the button, the door stops moving.
MV from Springfield, IL
It sounds like the infrared safety lights near the bottom of the garage door are either blocked or not facing directly at each other.
The purpose of the safety lights is to prevent the garage door from closing if there is a "perceived" obstruction blocking the clear path between the sensors. They are typically mounted within a foot of the floor on either side of the door. Automatic openers have a built-in override to allow you to close the door anyway. Holding the wall button activates the override. This override feature doesn't work with the transmitter, only the wall button.
Perhaps some day garage door openers will be "smart" enough to know the difference between the cat or a bag of groceries and bad aim!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?