Dealer Forgets to Replace Oil
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
DIY Oil Changes
Low Mileage Oil Changes
Don't Scrimp on Your Oil Change
I just bought a 1997 Hyundai Tiburon. I got it cheap because it had about $1,000 of needed repairs, and it needs a new paint job. I took it into our local Toyota and Hyundai shop, and they said that they could fix it up. I also told them it needed an oil change and asked them if they could do that. When I picked it up, I didn't look for a sticker on my windshield because I assumed there would be one there telling me when to bring it back for another change. I drove it home, which is about four to five miles. Then I drove it to practice about two miles there and two miles back. On the way back, I noticed that my engine heated up quite quickly. It had been outside for three hours where it had been snowing. So it was quite odd that it was warm within seconds. I drove it home and then waited about 30 minutes to check the oil. When I pulled out the dipstick, there wasn't any oil on it at all. I waited 10 more minutes and still found no oil. I opened the oil cap to add some and steam came out of the hole where you add the oil. My engine temperature never reached the red zone, but it did get really hot. Do you think my engine could have been harmed? Can an engine blow up if it doesn't have any oil? What are the risks of no oil in the engine?
If you did all that driving without oil in the engine, you may have. I would immediately call the dealer that serviced the car and tell them the situation. If they neglected to put oil in the engine, they are responsible. The hard part would be proving that they were negligent. Either way, there may be a problem. Talk to the service manager and see what he is willing to do.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?