Replacing a Shower Bottom
I am replacing my shower bottom. It is a pre-cast fiberglass unit. How do I detach it from the drain for removal?
HM from Denville, NJ
Some types can be disconnected from within the pan. They use a compression system to clamp a neoprene sleeve tightly onto the drainpipe. Look underneath the drain cover, if you have one. There might be a large nut that compresses against the pipe. The nut has "cutout" notches on the inside edge that are used to turn it (as opposed to a typical nut that you would put a pipe wrench on). You can improvise a tool by cutting a piece of metal and inserting it across the cutouts of the nut. Then use a pipe wrench or other tool to twist the nut counter-clockwise to loosen it.
If there is no way to loosen the pipe from above (and you don't have easy access from below), you can use a reciprocating or jigsaw to cut around the drain through the plastic to allow removal of the base. Once the old pan is removed, you have access to the pipes to do whatever magic you may need to!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.