Replacing a Shower Bottom
I am replacing my shower bottom. It is a pre-cast fiberglass unit. How do I detach it from the drain for removal?
HM from Denville, NJ
Some types can be disconnected from within the pan. They use a compression system to clamp a neoprene sleeve tightly onto the drainpipe. Look underneath the drain cover, if you have one. There might be a large nut that compresses against the pipe. The nut has "cutout" notches on the inside edge that are used to turn it (as opposed to a typical nut that you would put a pipe wrench on). You can improvise a tool by cutting a piece of metal and inserting it across the cutouts of the nut. Then use a pipe wrench or other tool to twist the nut counter-clockwise to loosen it.
If there is no way to loosen the pipe from above (and you don't have easy access from below), you can use a reciprocating or jigsaw to cut around the drain through the plastic to allow removal of the base. Once the old pan is removed, you have access to the pipes to do whatever magic you may need to!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here naturalhandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links naturalhandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page naturalhandyman.com/friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at naturalhandyman.com/contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?