Slow Cooker Recipes
Vegetarian Grain Dinner
courtesy of Chet's Crock
Crock Pot® Cooking
All-Day Slow Cooker Recipes
Tasty Slow Cooker Recipes
1/4 cup millet, uncooked
1/4 cup barley, uncooked
1/3 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
8 oz. tomato sauce, salt free or regular
1 lb. canned tomatoes, chopped, drained, reserve liquid
1 1/2 cup corn, canned or frozen, drained
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 canned kidney beans, drained or any other beans, drained
(This will yield 10 oz of beans)
Combine all ingredients in a crockpot. Add water to reserved tomato liquid to equal 2 1/2 cup. Stir into grain mixture. Cover and cook on low setting eight hours. Stir before serving. I just put all the dry ingredients in the crockpot the night before. In the morning, I add all the wet ingredients and turn the crockpot on. By the time dinner rolls around, it is ready. This serves eight as a side dish and four to six as a filling main course. You can use any combination of grains. Just use about one cupful all together, although I have used more than one cupful.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- The 12 best bargains for shoppers in April
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 8 habits that plug parental spending leaks
- 3 great low-cost summer activities with kids
- Keeping your pet out of the economic doghouse
- Frugal living ideas for large families Readers' Solutions
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator