Could an Oil Leak Cause Starter Problems?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 14-year-old Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. The starter began acting up a couple of days ago. The car just wouldn't start. I sat awhile (knowing it wasn't the battery or alternator as these were just checked) and it did start. A little while later, it got hot and quit. A seemingly trustworthy mechanic came and got under the car and hammered on the starter. It started. I drove it to his shop, he put it on his lift, and said some wires were loose. He asked if I was using a lot of oil? No, about a quart a month. After this, the car acted perfectly normal until today. It rained (as it had done the first day). After I turned it off, it wouldn't start. The mechanic said that he had to fix the oil leaks before putting a new starter on because the oil was leaking onto the starter. Does this sound right?
It sounds like it could be right. If you really don't want the oil leak fixed, then he most likely will not warranty the starter. My guess is that the valve cover gasket is leaking oil down the side of the engine and it is dripping onto the starter, which may short it out.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?