My Story: Utility Savings
contributed by Sheila
Dollar Out the Window
Saving on Your Heating Bill
Being a self-supporting single mom and having my own home, I pay my actual heating bill, but I am on a contract with a secondary provider that offers a set unit rate for up to 3 years. I am amazed at the number of my neighbors that do not do this or have never even heard of it when it is so well publicized.
One of the things that I found to be most beneficial when attempting to cut costs while living in my 55-year-old home was to cover the metal heating pipes in the basement with the metallic and foam insulation sold at the local home center. I installed it myself and I am almost 60! It cost approximately $200 to cover the extensive metal pipes, but this immediately resulted in a 25% reduction in the heating bill. I actually can feel heat coming out of the vents rather than just cold air. It has allowed me to reduce the temperature, and now I have a less costly utility bill.
Next, I decided to go after a greater savings by putting plastic on my windows. Replacing windows will cost me $15,000, as I have a lot of windows in my brick ranch. There is 15 to be exact and some are over 108 inches wide. All of my windows have the "steel frames" that are costly to remove. I used the 3M insulation and hung it on suspension rods in the windows right up against the glass. Since I have a kitty that loves to sit in the window, I used a folded blanket on the window ledge. My kitty loved it. It eliminated moisture build up on the windows and water sitting on the ledge when it warmed up. And I found an additional savings on the heating bill of 25%.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
Also in Home
- Choosing the best driveway for your home and budget
- 13 ways to remove odors naturally
- Vertical gardening in small spaces
- The $150 bathroom redo
- Removing weeds and grasses
- Quality paint at bargain prices
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?