courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Four days ago, I found a big oil slick under my 1999 Honda Accord, 4-cylinder, with 125,000 miles on it. I took it to the Honda dealership I have used since buying the car new. They told me that the oil slick was oil and coolant. The oil was overflowing into the coolant and vice versa. They called it an engine failure. They also said I needed another engine and it would cost $3000-$6000. The mechanic also said that if I didn't trade the car, he'd like to buy it and fix it.
A few amateur mechanics told me my problem sounded like a blown head gasket. I just dropped the car off at an independent mechanic last night and am waiting for their diagnosis. What do you think? The radiator looks like it has chocolate milk in it.
It might be a head gasket. It sounds like that might be a possibility. However, there is also the possibility of there being a crack in the engine block. I would also have the engine tested for that. However, since the first dealership mechanic offered to buy it and fix it for himself, it sounds like he thinks it is only a head gasket issue.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?