courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Four days ago, I found a big oil slick under my 1999 Honda Accord, 4-cylinder, with 125,000 miles on it. I took it to the Honda dealership I have used since buying the car new. They told me that the oil slick was oil and coolant. The oil was overflowing into the coolant and vice versa. They called it an engine failure. They also said I needed another engine and it would cost $3000-$6000. The mechanic also said that if I didn't trade the car, he'd like to buy it and fix it.
A few amateur mechanics told me my problem sounded like a blown head gasket. I just dropped the car off at an independent mechanic last night and am waiting for their diagnosis. What do you think? The radiator looks like it has chocolate milk in it.
It might be a head gasket. It sounds like that might be a possibility. However, there is also the possibility of there being a crack in the engine block. I would also have the engine tested for that. However, since the first dealership mechanic offered to buy it and fix it for himself, it sounds like he thinks it is only a head gasket issue.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?