courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Four days ago, I found a big oil slick under my 1999 Honda Accord, 4-cylinder, with 125,000 miles on it. I took it to the Honda dealership I have used since buying the car new. They told me that the oil slick was oil and coolant. The oil was overflowing into the coolant and vice versa. They called it an engine failure. They also said I needed another engine and it would cost $3000-$6000. The mechanic also said that if I didn't trade the car, he'd like to buy it and fix it.
A few amateur mechanics told me my problem sounded like a blown head gasket. I just dropped the car off at an independent mechanic last night and am waiting for their diagnosis. What do you think? The radiator looks like it has chocolate milk in it.
It might be a head gasket. It sounds like that might be a possibility. However, there is also the possibility of there being a crack in the engine block. I would also have the engine tested for that. However, since the first dealership mechanic offered to buy it and fix it for himself, it sounds like he thinks it is only a head gasket issue.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?