by Nancy Twigg
10 Minute Tidy
Making Time Count
Fabulous 4 Time Savers
Many parents use the excuse that they are too busy to make any extra effort to live frugally. But even those of us who are the busiest can find an extra ten minutes here and there if we look hard enough for it. Here are five quickie tasks you can do anytime that will help your family save money.
- The 10-Minute Pantry Inventory - You know all those food items that get pushed to the back of your pantry and never used? Spend some time taking inventory of all the food items you have in your pantry. Then think of creative ways to use those items this week. You probably have several meals in your pantry just waiting to be cooked. By cooking these meals instead of buying more groceries, you will save money on your family's food bill this week.
- The 10-Minute Coupon Organization - Even if you don't clip coupons for grocery shopping, you probably use them for health and beauty products, taking the kids out for pizza, haircuts, oil changes, etc. Spend ten minutes organizing and going through your coupons, throwing away those that have expired and pulling out ones that will expire soon. The reason for this task is obvious. You can't save money with coupons if you can't find them when you need them or if you miss the expiration date.
- The 10-Minute Medicine Cabinet Cleanup - How many times have you bought cough drops or cold medicine for the kids only to find when you got home that you already had plenty? Protect your family by taking time to clean out any old and expired medicines. Then take inventory of what's left so you won't buy more of something you already have.
- The 10-Minute Closet Clearance - This one will save you both time and money. Spend some time sorting through your family's closets and pulling out the clothes you and your kids don't wear anymore. While you're at it, look for new combinations of outfits, using pieces you already have. By combining separates into different combinations, you'll all feel like you have new outfits without actually buying anything new.
- The 10-Minute Toy Sort - Take ten minutes to go through your children's playthings. Pull out those extra toys they won't even miss. Donate them to charity or save them for your next yard sale. Pick out the toys they do enjoy but haven't used in a while. Put them up in the attic or on a high shelf. Next time your kids are begging you to buy new toys, pull down some of the forgotten toys. See if they don't get just as excited as if you had bought something new.
Nancy Twigg is a Christian speaker and the author of Celebrate Simply: Your Guide to Simpler, More Meaningful Holidays and Special Occasions
Take the Next Step
- Visit the TDS library for more great ideas on staying organized.
- If you're serious about getting organized visit The Dollar Stretcher Pinterest "Organization Tips to Save Time and Money" board today!
Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?