Replacing a Battery
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
5 Ways to Prepare Your Car for Winter Driving
3 Timely Tips to Take Care of Your Car in Winter
I own a Windstar and would like to replace the battery. I am a novice at car repair, but I thought replacing a battery was something that I could do. I found out how wrong I was. I had no problem getting the correct new battery, but I can't figure out how to get my old one out of the van. I even had my dad-in-law over and he could not get it out either. It looks like the battery is held into place by two plastic sides to a box. There is a long screw that may affect these sides, but of course, I can not get it to budge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Generally, the battery is held in place by "wedges." One may be fixed in the battery box while the other is removable by that long screw. Remove the long screw and the wedge that it was holding down, then try to lift the battery up on an angle. Remember they are heavy. Also, take caution as to not let the terminals of the battery touch anything. Also, always disconnect the negative cable first.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- How to build a contemporary outdoor fireplace
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Tips for taking in a renter
- How little things can make your décor pop
- Building a winter green house
- A natural approach to eliminating pet odors
- Cost-effective solutions to rid your home of black snakes
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?