Replacing a Battery
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
5 Ways to Prepare Your Car for Winter Driving
3 Timely Tips to Take Care of Your Car in Winter
I own a Windstar and would like to replace the battery. I am a novice at car repair, but I thought replacing a battery was something that I could do. I found out how wrong I was. I had no problem getting the correct new battery, but I can't figure out how to get my old one out of the van. I even had my dad-in-law over and he could not get it out either. It looks like the battery is held into place by two plastic sides to a box. There is a long screw that may affect these sides, but of course, I can not get it to budge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Generally, the battery is held in place by "wedges." One may be fixed in the battery box while the other is removable by that long screw. Remove the long screw and the wedge that it was holding down, then try to lift the battery up on an angle. Remember they are heavy. Also, take caution as to not let the terminals of the battery touch anything. Also, always disconnect the negative cable first.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?