I am going to place a 1/4" plywood top on my workbench and was wondering about coating it with some type of finish. I am not looking for "gloss." I want the product to protect the plywood from oil stains, water, dirt and so on.
I looked at the local hardware store and noticed Watco product's Danish Oil finish. Would this be a good choice? Your recommendations would be appreciated.
TM from Edmond, OK
I'm sure your reasoning is that gloss is meant for furniture or hardwood flooring. However, from a practical standpoint, a gloss finish is much more durable since the gloss comes from a finish that is very smooth and non-porous, which is what makes it reflective or "glossy." (Plus, to this handyman, a glossy workbench is mondo chic!)
Oil finishes, in contrast, are not as durable nor are they resistant to as many chemicals as polyurethane. So I would suggest using gloss polyurethane, at least two coats, and sanding between coats. You will have a beautiful and functional work surface that will resist most common chemicals with the obvious exceptions of furniture refinisher and paint remover.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Creating an outdoor kitchen
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Saving on water one drop at a time
- Cheaper summer cooling
- Inexpensive landscaping ideas
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?