Save with homemade cleaning supplies
courtesy of Almanac.com
Homemade Cleaning Supplies
Green Cleaning with Essential Oils
Vinegar Kills Bacteria, Mold, and Germs
Now that Easter is approaching, it's time to dust off the bunnies and dig deep into spring cleaning. Almanac.com gives tips on spring cleaning remedies you can mix up yourself. This advice and much more is available from The Old Farmer's Almanac website, Almanac.com. For monthly seasonal advice, recipes, and craft ideas, go directly to almanac.com.
Concoct It Yourself
Carpet and Room Freshener
Make your own at a great savings over commercially prepared mixtures.
- 1 cup crushed, dried herbs (such as rosemary, lavender, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
Combine all ingredients in a large jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well to blend. Sprinkle some of the mixture on your carpet, leave it for an hour or so, and then vacuum it up. It gives the room a pleasant smell and neutralizes carpet odors.
This is a nice change from mothballs
- 1 handful each of dried thyme, tansy, peppermint, pennyroyal, and whole cloves
- 2 handfuls each of dried lavender, southern-wood, santolina, and lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon powdered orris root
- Several drops of lemon or clove oil
Mix all ingredients well and spoon into small cheesecloth or cotton bags, filling each with about 1/2 cup. Hang in closets or over hangers that hold your woolens.
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup vinegar
Pour baking soda down the clogged drain, followed by vinegar. Let these bubble away for about 20 minutes. Then turn on the hot water and let it run for 3 or 4 minutes, or pour down 2 kettlefuls of boiling water.
The preceding excerpt is from The Old Farmer's Almanac website, Almanac.com. For more information on the Almanac's line of products, please visit www.almanac.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
If you enjoyed this article you might also want to check out:
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?