I am replacing old double hung windows with double paned windows, so I will need heavier weights. Do you know who manufactures heavier weights? These are large windows, so I suspect I have the heaviest weights made at that time (1908).
JL from Berkeley, CA
Old-style, one-piece cast iron counterweights have, amazingly enough, entered the 21st century with the rest of us! The Kilian Hardware Company of Philadelphia, PA carries a line of replacement, interlocking counterweights in 10, 5 and 1-pound weights, so you can balance most any window. To link directly to their counterweight page, visit www.kilianhardware.com/kilian/sascounweig.html.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here NaturalHandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links NaturalHandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page NaturalHandyman.com/Friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at NaturalHandyman.com/Contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information located at NaturalHandyman.com/Copyright.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?