Dreaming of an Economical Christmas
by Marlene Alexander
Even though it's always said "it's the thought that counts," we don't want to look cheap when it comes to gifting family and friends. Still, that maxim is still true and most of us don't have the extra resources to splurge as much as we'd like to. Dollar stores to the rescue! Beautiful bags, boxes and baskets can be had for humming a few bars of "Silent Night." And, with a little care, you can even find things to put in them that look like they came from a more expensive shop.
Children, especially, have limited shopping budgets, but for about $7, they can present Mom with this gift basket containing lavender foam bath, body lotion and body spray along with chocolate shells, Christmas candles and a silver tone frame. After a hectic holiday season, what Mom wouldn't appreciate a little "me time"? The basket is lined with an attractive tissue paper with a scalloped edge and you can buy basket wrap by the roll or in packages of two basket-wrap bags for a dollar.
Whether Dad's a home business owner or a movie buff, he's sure to appreciate brand named DVD-R discs from a son or daughter. Or, use them to help stuff the stocking of the favorite guy on your list, along with some chocolate treats. A chocolate Santa and a set of Christmas pencils with character eraser tops are just two of the many items that could be included in a child's Christmas sock.
And, let's face it; gift-wrap has an extremely short life span. A dollar per package or roll is plenty to pay for something that will only end up as garbage anyway and you won't be sacrificing attractiveness at that price. Complete your wrapping needs with bows, ribbons, gift tags, scissors and tape. In short, dollar stores have most everything you need for happy holiday gifting.
Marlene Alexander is a writer living in Ontario, Canada. For more on dollar store shopping, visit her website at www.dollarstorestyle.com.
Take the Next Step
- Locate your nearest dollar store to find great deals on gift bags, wrapping paper, & bows to make your gifts look great!
- Put some thought into the reciever and what they seceretly treasure. Here's Twenty Gift ideas that might help!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- A teen clothing allowance
- Make your own professional cakes
- The benefits of apartment living for families
- Tuition free colleges
- 8 low-cost ways to reduce stress
- 10 ways to reduce vet bills
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- March bargains in supermarket and beyond
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in March
- 5 types of freebies you can snag today
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator