My Story: Homemade Christmas Gifts
contributed by Amber
10 Creative Ways to Give from the Heart
Holiday Mix and Gift Recipes
This year we are very low on money for gifts. I just recently quit my job to stay at home with my boys and we are having to really budget with just my husband's detention officer income.
With family members, preschool teachers, Sunday School teachers, and friends, gifts can get very expensive. I have found a way to get my two-year-old son involved in making things for others.
This year, we are making white chocolate and peppermint bark. We have a variety of ways to display the bark. After all, packaging it is almost as fun as making it. My son is in charge of crushing up the peppermint pieces and pouring them in the chocolate.
This is something that is easy for him to do and he gets a kick out of helping mommy. It is also a great time to talk to him about giving gifts and how special it is to make something for people that is from his heart.
Here are a few creative ways to package the bark:
- Wrap in small holiday baskets
- Wrap on a holiday plate
- Wrap in a holiday mug
- Put inside tins, jelly jars, mason jars, and canisters
We have even found containers that would double as presents. For instance, we found a pink metal office basket for one of our friends that is in college. She loves to get homemade treats and can use the basket for pens and pencils.
It is really fun to let my son choose what to put the treats in, and it is fun for me to hunt through resale shops, thrift stores, and garage sales just to find the perfect inexpensive container for a really practical gift.
Here is the recipe that I use. It is easy and really delicious on its own, or it can be dropped into hot chocolate or coffee.
Melt white chocolate according to the package directions. Crush peppermint and add to the mix. Spread onto a sheet of waxed paper to dry. Break into pieces and serve them however you wish!
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Preparing for a Frugal Holiday Season", "DIY Holiday Gift Ideas" & "Cheap Christmas Ideas" boards today!
- To learn how to make Candy Bouquet's for fun and profit
- Don't forget your Yard Sale Etiquette while shopping for those unique display items.
- Look at these recipes for some other Easy Homemade Candies. YUM!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Money-Saving Tools for Families
Trending This Week
- A financial safety net for single moms
- Do we need a will?
- Chip off the old cheapskate
- Frugal party ideas for twin tweens
- Home remedies to soothe the sizzle of sunburn
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- This week's Readers' Tips