Ways to control clutter in your home
Readers Respond: Dejunking Your Home
How Clutter Stole My Life
Don't Get Bit by the Clutterbug!
We welcome your opinions. These are some comments/ideas that readers wanted to share. Link to original article here.
Start with a Bare Room
Another way to control clutter is to start with a bare room! We just moved into a new home and 2/3 of our stuff is still in the basement. We made a commitment that we would only bring up and furnish our rooms and closets with items we really need. We won't bring up home decor just to fill space. I was amazed at how much "stuff" was still in the basement! After being in the house for several months now, I can get a better handle on what can go to Goodwill or on eBay. We also have a child who will soon be going off to college and all of the old mismatched chairs and other furniture will help to stretch that first apartment budget or furnish a room for the kids to hang out in the basement. You may also find what used to work in one room, now works better in another. I also use color coded bins for seasonal decor. Orange for fall/Halloween, Red and Green for Christmas, Clear for spring and summer. Easy to find and pull out and easy to store. Now if I could just get an elevator to the basement!
Sharon in Loganville
Take the Tax Deduction
You didn't mention donating to the Salvation Army and taking a tax-deduction is usually worth more than you could make selling your clothes.
Take the Next Step:
- Try selling items on eBay.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?