Preventing Ice Dams
How to Keep Your Home Warm This Winter
Stop Winter Drafts
In your article on roof ice dams, a reader suggested using calcium chloride in pantyhose to help melt/prevent ice dams. Would calcium chloride filled pantyhose lined up in the gutter help by allowing melted snow/ice to drain?
GL from Albany, NY
I don't know anyone who has tried it, but my first instinct is it may have minimal or even negative effects. Since ice dams begin forming on the roof, not in the gutter, placing the tubes in the gutter will not have the desired effect, which is to inhibit ice formation on the roof. Remember "Ice Dam 101." Ice dams can form on roofs without gutters, too! As a second thought, the calcium chloride will probably dissolve faster since it will be submerged during heavy rain and may also cause the gutters to overflow.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory:
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Don't let a reverse mortgage leave you homeless Expert Interview
- How to create an outdoor room on a budget
- Cheap home security Slideshow
- Renew your kitchen cabinets for $100
- Buying a kitchen stove
- Killing crabgrass
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?