5 Tips for Healthier Houseplants
by Monica Resinger
Hardy Indoor Plants
Houseplants from Garbage
Natural Healthcare for Houseplants
If your houseplants are looking like they need a lift, here's five tips that'll get them looking and feeling better in no time:
- If your plants have dusty leaves, give them a shower. I'm lucky enough to have a sprayer on my kitchen sink to do this with ease. If you don't have a sprayer, give them a shower in your shower or tub. Doing this will automatically improve the health of the plant and make it look a lot better.
- Cut off any dead or diseased foliage. This will help the plant put its energy into its health rather than repairing itself. You will be amazed at the difference this makes.
- If you see roots growing through the holes in the bottom of the container, it's time to re-pot it. Simply pot the plant in the next size up container, filling in the gaps with a good potting soil.
- One of the best tips I have ever learned about houseplants is about watering. It is very simple and following it makes sure you don't over, or under, water. To check if your plant needs watering, simply poke your finger into the top inch or so of potting soil. If you feel moisture, don't water. If you don't feel any moisture, water.
- Fertilize with a diluted fertilizer at each watering rather than what's recommended on the package. Use about 1/4 the amount of fertilizer for which the directions call. This will ensure that you are fertilizing enough.
Follow these five tips and you'll be amazed at how healthy and vibrant your plants will look.
Monica Resinger is a loving wife and doting mother of two who enjoys gardening, painting, dancing and homemaking.
You can check out some of her other articles at http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Monica_Resinger
- For all of your gardening needs, check out Mastergardening.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?