Driving without an Oil Cap
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I took my car in for a routine checkup and oil change two weeks ago. After driving all this time, I got a check engine light today, and when I popped the hood, I discovered that the oil cap had been left open this whole time. I checked the oil level and it was below the minimum, so I put in a quart of oil. I'm not sure I used the same rating they used. Is my car messed up now? What kinds of problems can result from driving without an oil cap?
If the car only took one quart of oil, that should not be your problem. Was the inside of your engine compartment completely coated in oil? Is the check engine light still on? If so, you need to find out what code is stored. Additionally, you should (if not done so already) go back to the oil change place and tell them that they left your oil cap off. The best that they will probably do for you is give you a free oil change. However, you still need to make them aware!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Take the Next Step
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?