My Story: Eating Healthier
contributed by DG
My Story: Eating Healthy for Less
14 Ways to Buy Produce for Less
My Story: Increasing the Nutrition Factor
When I tried portion control on my family, they just got hungry before bed, and we found ourselves munching on chips and guacamole. So, how to eat healthier? Last night, DH called to say he'd be ravenous when he walked in the door. Yikes! The main dish wasn't ready! So, I quickly halved a cantaloupe to be able to feed him immediately. For dinner, we each had a half of a cantaloupe and a bowl of leftover homemade lentil soup, topped with onions and salsa. By the time we were halfway through our soup, the main dish (BBQ pork sandwiches) was heated up, so I fixed us each a plate with one BBQ pork sandwich, leftover Waldorf salad, and grapes.
Because we had eaten the cantaloupe and a half-bowl of soup first, we each only ate one of the sandwiches. Without all the side dishes, we each would have eaten two. Nobody snacked before bedtime either. So, the fatty part of dinner was reduced, and the healthy parts were increased. What made this work out?
- First, the cantaloupe was ripe, but I could have quickly served up some pear-and-banana chunks, sliced apples, or even canned applesauce. So, have fruits and veggies on hand. One way I do this inexpensively is to buy produce packs from SHARE . Other options can be a discount grocery, like Aldi, or a Farmer's Market. Unfortunately, where I live, the Farmer's Market is trendy and spendy.
- Second, we had the lentil soup. That was a failed recipe. It was way too bland when I served it as a side dish on Wednesday. So, we added hot salsa and chopped onions. So, remember that you can recycle leftovers by adding to them. You can add salsa, canned beans, cheese, sour cream, chopped veggies, a can of store-bought soup, or condiments to perk up a boring dish.
- Third, we had the grapes and Waldorf salad (lightly dressed). This comes under the heading of prepping fruits and veggies. Once a month, I get a big co-op order from SHARE. This past Saturday, I got my co-op produce that included three pounds of carrots, three bunches celery, three heads of lettuce, three bunches of green top onion, six pounds of yellow onions, 18 potatoes, six tomatoes, 15 Gala apples, 15 Bartlett pears, three pounds of red seedless grapes, nine Romaine lettuce hearts, and three cantaloupes. After the order arrived, I got out the colander and the food processor and went to work. I sliced and diced onions, carrots, celery, and scallions. I made up a carrot salad and a Waldorf salad. I washed all the fruit and plucked the grapes into a Tupperware bowl. So, be sure to prep fruits and veggies. This makes it much more likely that they'll be eaten. This Saturday, I'll take some of the uncut veggies and prep them for next week. Just think how easy it is to serve ants on a log if the celery is already cleaned and cut. Or make steaming onion soup if the onions are pre-chopped. Or dump a bunch of cleaned, chilled grapes onto a plate for a ravenous husband.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
Discuss "How do you eat healthy and cheaper?" with other Dollar Stretchers in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Trending on TDS
- 5 ways to prevent elderly relatives from throwing away money
- Teaching small children about wants and needs
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- 10 kid-friendly tips for surviving long winter days
- Keeping your toddler warm at night
- Home remedies for colds and flus
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- December bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- A dozen things you should buy in December
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- How to start writing your will
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator