Diagnosing alternator problems
3 Alternators in 3 Years
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '91 Ford F-150. I've had it for a little over three years. During this time, I have had to replace the alternator three times with the last time being about three months ago. Yesterday, I noticed that the voltmeter is jumping around yet again. I have had the battery load tested and was told that everything is fine. I have also had the alternator tested every time before I replaced it. The only electrical thing that has been added to my truck is a CB radio, which I didn't think would have any impact on my alternator. The CB was added after I already had to replace the alternator for the first time. Do you know what could cause my alternators to continue to go bad like this?
I would check for improper grounding. Make sure that the battery to chassis and engine to chassis grounds are all good. You might want to replace the braided lines with new ones as sometimes they become corroded.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?