Lots of Pots
by Marlene Alexander
The gardening section of my favourite local dollar store has a good selection of plastic planters of varying sizes to help dress up the deck, along with the ever-popular clay pot, in an assortment of sizes both plain and fancy. And who says you always have to plant flowers in a flowerpot?
Here, we've used a 3 1/2" painted clay pot as a napkin holder that, barring gale-force winds, should help to keep your serviettes from escaping all over the neighbourhood. Use this idea indoors, as well. One of these clay pots, inverted, makes a great candlesnuffer for those citronella torches so you can save your breath. Heck! You might even just want to fill them with earth and put sunflower seeds in them. Whatever you want these pots for, they're dirt-cheap at two for a dollar.
If you keep your eyes open, you can sometimes find attractive paper napkins in the dollar store. They come in packages of twenty for a dollar.
In the springtime, gardening supplies branch out to help fill the spaces reserved for seasonal. It was in one of those places that these attractive faux stone mini planters were found. The taller ones are 6" high and the rectangular ones are 3 and 3/4" high. They come in a variety of styles and are perfect for adding a bit of oomph to a garden corner. Because of their diminutive size, you can continue to enjoy these planters indoors when winter threatens.
These little clay pots were two for a dollar and could be just the hint of summery color a room needs. Cheer up your favourite houseplants by giving them a new home for the season or simply stack three of these fun pots together and display them in an otherwise drab corner of a room.
Marlene Alexander is a writer living in Ontario, Canada. For more on dollar store shopping, visit her website at DollarStoreStyle.com.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?