My Story: Finding a Job
contributed by Joyce
Job Hunting Tips
Out of Work? Volunteer!
I have just recently gone through a period of unemployment. My unemployment lasted just one month because I worked hard to find another job. Here's my advice:
- Call or email everyone you know. Talk with people you have worked with in the past, relatives, etc. to let them know you are looking for a job. You never know who they know or what job(s) may be unadvertised or coming open soon. (When I learned I was to be laid off, I sent out an email to everyone I could reach and put a positive spin on my situation by saying, "I have a new job. My new job is to find myself a new job!")
- Update your resume as soon as possible, emphasizing your accomplishments and experience.
- Buy or check out from the library a good job hunting book like What Color Is Your Parachute?
- Make a commitment to do something to look for a job every day. Call someone, send a letter, or look at the paper or the Internet. Do something. Set aside a specific time to do this each day. Get up every day, get dressed, and make it your job to find a job.
- Remember to keep your chin up. It's easy to get down. You are not the only person this has ever happened to. Be good to yourself with an occasional treat and regular contact with good, supportive friends and family.
- Apply for jobs that interest you even though you may not meet all the qualifications listed. Few people meet every criterion for a job. If you meet some or most, you'll be considered if you show enthusiasm and a willingness to learn the rest.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Debt from my past is preventing me from saving for my future! Tell us: Yes, debt is hindering my ability to save and I could use help dealing with it! or No, debt is not a problem but I am trying to get ahead financially!
More Money Tips & Tools
- 5 low-risk ways to earn higher interest now
- 10 easy ways to save money for the holidays
- 7 IRA withdrawals that don't trigger a penalty
- 4 secrets to maximize your credit card rewards
- How small changes to your finances could make a big difference
- Learning from our financial mistakes
- 5 ways to make finances easier
- This week's Readers' Tips