Repairing a Worn Out Seat
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an Explorer and the driver's bucket seat is broke. The bar it hangs on to stay upright is worn away and I am in nearly a laying position while driving unless I use some type of back support. This is quite embarrassing when you have guests in your car. Also, I have to have the two kids' car seats crunched together on the right and middle cause their legs would get crunched. Is it worth repairing? Is it something we could replace? We just do not have the funds to buy another vehicle right now. But, if you say that it is unfixable, then we'll have to figure something out.
I would recommend getting a replacement seat from a junk yard or salvage center. You may have to shop around a bit to find one that has the same color as yours.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
editor's note: we received the following note that could save you some money!
Hi Bob, I just finished reading the stretcher newsletter in which you had recommended that a subscriber get a seat for their Explorer from a junkyard. I wanted to let you know that there was a recall on those. Ford will fix it for free. One that they would get from a junkyard would probably have the same problem. We also have an Explorer and I found the information on Edmunds.com. Thanks, Stacy K.
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
If you enjoyed this article you might also want to check out:
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?