Cleaning Brick Fireplaces
Cleaning a Rock Fireplace
Cleaning Brass Fireplace Trim
Two Dozen Uses for Baking Soda
Cleaning a Brick Fireplace
The bricks on my fireplace are very dusty and dirty. I've tried vacuuming the dust, but it seems to stick to the bricks. What is the best way to clean and scrub the bricks clean? I'd appreciate your tips!
Simply Use Water and a Scrub Brush to Clean a Brick Fireplace
My husband is owner and craftsman of a masonry business with many years of experience in all types of brick.
While it depends on what type of brick your fireplace is built out of, you can simply clean your fireplace with warm water and a scrub brush. Start at the top and work your way down. Make sure any carpet around the area is covered while you work or you'll be cleaning your carpet, too.
If your brick is common red brick, and the brick is extremely dirty, you can give it an acid wash. Be sure to dilute the acid wash down to about 10%. Have a pail of regular water nearby to rinse the acid wash immediately after it is brushed on. As a warning, don't use acid wash on brick with any type of color. The acid will eat any color that may be on the bring.
Trish B. in Brea, CA
Make a Baking Soda Paste to Clean a Brick Fireplace
When we purchased our home, the fireplace had never been cleaned. The home was over 30 years old. We made a paste with baking soda and water, applied the paste, and scrubbed with a nail brush purchased at the dollar store. We had tried a product called TSP available at the local hardware store, which loosened the remaining spots that didn't come clean. It sure worked for us!
The Power of Oxygen to Clean a Brick Fireplace
When I moved into my home, the bricks where a mess. I used a strong solution of OxiClean and a good hard scrubbing brush. This cleaned wonderfully, and it brightened the bricks.
Use Muriatic Acid to Clean a Brick Fireplace
Muriatic Acid can be found at the hardware store. Be sure to follow all directions on the package very carefully.
Cleaning Brick Fireplaces: The Simple Solution
I know it sounds arduous, but the best way to clean those bricks is a bucket of hot soapy water and a scrub brush or sponge. If the brick is rough, a sponge might not work. You'll be amazed at how nice they look, and it will make the house smell fresher too!
Erase Away the Brick Fireplace's Dirt
Try those new cleaning sponges (erasers) by Mr. Clean to clean the fireplace bricks. They work wonders!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
If you enjoyed this article you might also want to check out:
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?