Cleaning Brick Fireplaces
Cleaning a Rock Fireplace
Cleaning Brass Fireplace Trim
Two Dozen Uses for Baking Soda
Cleaning a Brick Fireplace
The bricks on my fireplace are very dusty and dirty. I've tried vacuuming the dust, but it seems to stick to the bricks. What is the best way to clean and scrub the bricks clean? I'd appreciate your tips!
Simply Use Water and a Scrub Brush to Clean a Brick Fireplace
My husband is owner and craftsman of a masonry business with many years of experience in all types of brick.
While it depends on what type of brick your fireplace is built out of, you can simply clean your fireplace with warm water and a scrub brush. Start at the top and work your way down. Make sure any carpet around the area is covered while you work or you'll be cleaning your carpet, too.
If your brick is common red brick, and the brick is extremely dirty, you can give it an acid wash. Be sure to dilute the acid wash down to about 10%. Have a pail of regular water nearby to rinse the acid wash immediately after it is brushed on. As a warning, don't use acid wash on brick with any type of color. The acid will eat any color that may be on the bring.
Trish B. in Brea, CA
Make a Baking Soda Paste to Clean a Brick Fireplace
When we purchased our home, the fireplace had never been cleaned. The home was over 30 years old. We made a paste with baking soda and water, applied the paste, and scrubbed with a nail brush purchased at the dollar store. We had tried a product called TSP available at the local hardware store, which loosened the remaining spots that didn't come clean. It sure worked for us!
The Power of Oxygen to Clean a Brick Fireplace
When I moved into my home, the bricks where a mess. I used a strong solution of OxiClean and a good hard scrubbing brush. This cleaned wonderfully, and it brightened the bricks.
Use Muriatic Acid to Clean a Brick Fireplace
Muriatic Acid can be found at the hardware store. Be sure to follow all directions on the package very carefully.
Cleaning Brick Fireplaces: The Simple Solution
I know it sounds arduous, but the best way to clean those bricks is a bucket of hot soapy water and a scrub brush or sponge. If the brick is rough, a sponge might not work. You'll be amazed at how nice they look, and it will make the house smell fresher too!
Don't forget to use the ebates cash back site and receive cash back on all of your purchases.
Erase Away the Brick Fireplace's Dirt
Try those new cleaning sponges (erasers) by Mr. Clean to clean the fireplace bricks. They work wonders!
Take the Next Step
- Clear your clutter the fast and easy way with Goodbye Clutter!
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Cleaning Recipes.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?