My Story: Giving to Domestic Violence Shelters
contributed by Anonymous in Connecticut
Helping Those Less Fortunate
Helping Others without Spending Money
Your Charitable Dollar
Our company puts on an annual health and wellness fair once a year for its employees. As the organizer of this event, I make it a point to visit each booth and chat with each participating group. I've gotten to know the director from one of our local domestic violence shelters a little better than most of the group leaders. At a recent event, she and I were talking and I asked her if she had any special requests for donations. Here's what she said.
We accept and greatly appreciate partially used products in original containers so when you buy a new shampoo and don't like it, give it to us. Someone here will think it's wonderful.
She said, to put it delicately, every woman sooner or later finds that she has a box or two of unused feminine products which she knows she'll never use. "I wish every woman would give those products to us because we have such an intense and ongoing need for them. Really, it's a struggle to keep up with our needs!"
And finally, she said most people have access to a lot more small personal care items than they realize. Frequent business travellers, both men and women, collect and donate those little hotel containers of shampoo, conditioner, soap, body wash, body lotion, and even little sewing repair kits, shoe shine cloths, and sanitary napkin disposal bags. "Some women donate the little gift bag of make-up and perfume samples they get with the purchase of similar products at the holidays." And finally, the director said she wished the public could know how their donations of things like personal care products and make-up can lift a new arrival's spirits when everything seems so overwhelming.
If you enjoyed this article you might also want to check out:
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money, please send it by mailto:MyStory@stretcher.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
Trending on TDS
- Natural wound care Speonsored Review & Giveaway
- Money saving for dog owners Slideshow
- Buying and selling used video games
- School lunch advice from childcare center director
- Video: Avoiding vacation debt & regret
- Let's play with edible clay!
- 6 things to consider before taking on the care of elderly parents
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in September
- Teen texting-while-driving cost: No LOL
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator