Fixing a Smoke Detector
Help! I have two hard-wired smoke detectors that came with the house. They have been beeping even without the batteries in place. We removed them both to be able to get some sleep. The beeping sound is still happening and it is coming from inside the wall. It must be from the wiring in the wall. What do we do?
RJ from Houston, TX
I'm guessing that the sound is still coming from the smoke alarms, but because of the frequency of the sound, it just appears to be coming from inside the wall. Some hardwired smoke detectors beep as a warning that the batteries have been removed or are dead. Both are true in your case. Putting in fresh batteries should solve the problem. If replacing the batteries doesn't help, they may have become defective and need replacement. The recommended maximum use is ten years, though they can fail before this! We have more on smoke alarms at the website at www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffire/infsmokealarm.shtm.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Cleaning the things that clean
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Buying a new furnace
- Recycling 'gray' water
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?