Fixing a Smoke Detector
Help! I have two hard-wired smoke detectors that came with the house. They have been beeping even without the batteries in place. We removed them both to be able to get some sleep. The beeping sound is still happening and it is coming from inside the wall. It must be from the wiring in the wall. What do we do?
RJ from Houston, TX
I'm guessing that the sound is still coming from the smoke alarms, but because of the frequency of the sound, it just appears to be coming from inside the wall. Some hardwired smoke detectors beep as a warning that the batteries have been removed or are dead. Both are true in your case. Putting in fresh batteries should solve the problem. If replacing the batteries doesn't help, they may have become defective and need replacement. The recommended maximum use is ten years, though they can fail before this! We have more on smoke alarms at the website at www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffire/infsmokealarm.shtm.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here NaturalHandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links NaturalHandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page NaturalHandyman.com/Friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at NaturalHandyman.com/Contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information located at NaturalHandyman.com/Copyright.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?