Finding a Vacuum Leak
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I changed two oxygen sensors, all the spark plugs, and the connecting wires, but my problem still persists. I only changed the two because all the codes disappeared when they were changed. Currently, I do not have the MIL "on," but the problem is still there. My mechanic said that there's a vacuum leak and is charging $75 just for the smoke test to find the leak. He added that the vacuum leak is the reason why my A/C is not cooling at all. However, the heater works perfectly. The car feels sluggish in the lower two gears when driven over a long distance (or when it's hot outside). Also, it idles roughly and vibrates in fourth and fifth at speeds over 75 miles per hour. Your help is truly appreciated.
You can check for a vacuum leak yourself. Take a can of spray carb or fuel injector cleaner. With the engine running and warm, spray around all vacuum lines and connections. If you hear a change in engine speed, you just found your leak!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?