Finding a Vacuum Leak
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I changed two oxygen sensors, all the spark plugs, and the connecting wires, but my problem still persists. I only changed the two because all the codes disappeared when they were changed. Currently, I do not have the MIL "on," but the problem is still there. My mechanic said that there's a vacuum leak and is charging $75 just for the smoke test to find the leak. He added that the vacuum leak is the reason why my A/C is not cooling at all. However, the heater works perfectly. The car feels sluggish in the lower two gears when driven over a long distance (or when it's hot outside). Also, it idles roughly and vibrates in fourth and fifth at speeds over 75 miles per hour. Your help is truly appreciated.
You can check for a vacuum leak yourself. Take a can of spray carb or fuel injector cleaner. With the engine running and warm, spray around all vacuum lines and connections. If you hear a change in engine speed, you just found your leak!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?