Dimming Fluorescent Fixtures
I have a light box that my customer wants to put a dimmer switch on. The fixture is fluorescent. I have questioned the manufacturer about the kind of ballast inside the light box, so I can order the correct dimmer.
Before I take the next step and take apart the light box (to get the information that I need), is it possible to put a dimmer on a fluorescent fixture?
DL from Orlando, FL
Dimming fluorescent fixtures have special ballasts designed to work with special dimmer switches. The ballast of the fixture must be compatible with the dimmer or they will not work together.
Standard fluorescent fixtures will not fire properly with a dimmer switch installed, so I wouldn't waste your time unless you know for a fact that the fixture is designed to dim. Very few fluorescents are designed to dim.
If you remove the ballast cover on the fixture, it will be prominently labeled as "dimming." If not, you may be able to purchase a dimming ballast, though the cost of the ballast (around $50 for a two-40 watt bulb fixture) plus installation may be more than a new fixture, unless the fixture is very classy (or has sentimental value).
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?