The Occasional Alternator
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I make a four-hour drive to and from college when I go back home. When I came back from Labor Day, my car was running fine, but when I stopped at a store for about an hour, my car would not start. The lights came on when I turned the key, but it didn't turn over. I eventually got someone to jump-start my car and it ran fine. However, a couple of weeks later, it did the same thing. I had someone else jump my car. After telling them the car's history, the person suggested that my alternator is dying. Before I left home, I had everything in my car checked. The mechanic said that everything looked fine. Does it sound like I need a new alternator? If I do, how do I get a cheap one for my car? I have a Pontiac Grand Am (1992) with a 2.3 liter and it's a 4 quad. I have found some estimates, but they are around $300, which is a lot for a college student.
I would first check to make sure that the ground cables are clean and free of corrosion. It seems like your alternator is working at times. If not, you would not last a day or two without it. My guess is that there is corrosion somewhere, and when everything gets warm, it insulates the cable preventing current flow. Check around the battery. Also, if you feel up to it, disconnect the negative cable from the battery and brush the cable and the battery terminal clean.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?