courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I love your column and have learned much from it. Do you have any suggestions for getting the hatchback on my 1994 Geo Metro to stay open? It will sometimes stay in warm weather, but anywhere below freezing, it falls right down. It's very annoying to load and unload groceries while using one hand to keep the hatchback up!
Jessie, a South Dakota fan
I bet the little pistons are shot. They look like little shock absorbers. It is very common for those to wear out over time. Most auto part stores carry them and the change should be something you can do yourself. However, in the mean time, you can get a board or a baseball bat to keep that door open and stop falling on your head!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. Compare them now to find the best one for you.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?