Bring Color into the Home
by Kathy Wilson
Colorful Ways to Expand Small Spaces
10 Top Home Decorating Buys Under $10
Using Color on Your Walls
One of the fastest and more inexpensive ways to decorate your home on a budget is to bring in color. Here are some great ways to do that without breaking the bank!
- Use paint to add color throughout your room. Paint your focal wall a richer or brighter color, or paint the whole room. Paint mismatched furniture all one color. White is fresh and black is sophisticated.
- Paint all the picture frames in the room a cool accent color. It will pull them together, and add color to the walls.
- Use fabric to add color by adding curtains, tiebacks, throw pillows, and tablecloths, all which can be made easily at home with flat sheets or discount fabric.
- Cover all the matting in your picture frames with fabric. This can even be scrap fabric or fabric from an old tablecloth. Cut it to size, wrap around the back of the matting, and then glue in place. Replace the picture or artwork, place in the frame and rehang.
- Pick up candles in cool accent colors from the dollar shop or discount store. Group them on shelves or tabletops for an instant splash of color.
- Bring in live houseplants. Nothing adds more life and color to a room than plants! You can even pot up some shade annuals from the garden center and bring them inside for floral color. Pansies are a good bet. Keep in a bright window, out of direct sunlight.
- Finally, keep your eye out at garage sales for cool accessories in your chosen color scheme. Remember that the brighter accent colors should be kept to the smaller pieces to prevent overwhelm in a room. (Unless that's what you were going for!)
Bringing color into a room is an ideal way to add style and charm, and doesn't take a lot of bucks to get it done! So add some summer freshness to your life and color it up!
Kathy Wilson is an author, columnist, and editor of The Budget Decorator and other popular websites. For hundreds of free budget decorating ideas, visit her at www.TheBudgetDecorator.com.
If you enjoyed this article you might also want to check out:
- Bring Color to Your Home
- Fresh Colors for Your Home
- Updating Fabric Vertical Blinds
- Color in Home Decorating
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?