courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My problem is that my 94 Saturn SL2's horn tends to stick. Instead of touching the middle of the steering wheel, I have two buttons. The upper right one works just fine, but the top left one doesn't work at all. The funny thing is that the horn only sticks (and stays on loudly) when I make sharp left hand turns or when the car is turned off and the wheel is turned to the left. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Matt H from NH
It sounds like you have a short in the harness that runs up the steering column. I am not sure how that particular car is set up, but I do know on other models that the harness connects the turn signals and the horn to the rest of the car. The harness runs down the interior of the steering column and connects under the dash. It should be replaceable. I would, however, recommend getting a service manual of some sort to see if this is something you are willing to take on.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?