Grinding Brake Rotors
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1998 VW Jetta. I have had the brake rotors and pads replaced once. At that time, the right showed little to no wear and the left was grinding metal to metal so I had both sides replaced. Recently, I noticed grinding noise again. The mechanic pulled the left, and sure enough, it was metal to metal. When he pulled the right there was almost no wear on the rotor. What would cause the uneven wear? He says that it's a bad caliper. How do I know if he is telling me the truth because until I questioned things he was just planning to replace the rotors and pads? In fact, he was not even going to take the right wheel off to check it before ordering parts.
The front wheels should get even breaking pressure. More likely than not, the right side caliper is sticking. If that does not solve the trick, then it may point to a bad abs pump (which is a lot more expensive and labor intensive).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- Top ways to save big oin furniture
- Winning the war against invading ants
- Restoring brass fixtures
- How to keep neighbor dogs from using your yard as an outhouse
- How to revive old yard tools
- Cleaning a greasy driveway
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?