Why it is important to keep important information handy
How Being Organized Can Save You Money
by Jan Hayner
Secrets of Staying Organized
How Much Is Clutter Costing You?
10 Easy Ways to Get Organized
Saving money is something that we all like to do and strive to do everyday. If there is anything that is nicer, it is having more money in our wallet than what we thought we would have at the end of the week. So why do so many of us waste money on an everyday basis?
It has to do with not keeping track of the cost of items, the things we have repaired, warranties that we don't realize that we have and not having enough time in our schedule to slow down and take a good look at ways to save. Do you know if the warranty on your dishwasher is still in effect?
If it is, is it a manufacturers warranty or a store warranty? What does it cover? Where do you call for servicing? This is a lot to try to keep track of and most of us don't do this. It is almost impossible to keep track of everything that we own.
Have you had something repaired on the car and you think you may have had it replaced last year, but you're not really sure?
We take our vehicles in for maintenance and wait until they are finished and pay the bill, right? When they tell you that you need to have a part replaced and you think you may have had it done six months ago, is it still under warranty? This is only one way of paying for something twice. Without good records and a fast way of retrieving the information, you are going to lose money.
Did you have someone repair an item in your home and weren't happy with the workmanship and you don't want them back again? Do you remember the name of the person?
Sometimes just remembering the name of the company isn't good enough. The person may quit that company and go to work for someone else. Do you want them to come back? We overlook things like this, and in the long run, we are spending money foolishly. This technician may move from job to job and may repair and charge you for the same part many times before you remember that you have seen them someplace before.
Clear your clutter the fast and easy way with Goodbye Clutter!
Are your records filed in such a manner that you can find all of this information in less than five minutes? Probably not. Most of us don't keep records that accurate, so it is going to take a while to find the right information. We will have to go through receipt after receipt and last years receipts (if we kept them). It is almost more work than it is worth, so we forget it and pay the bill. So, we have wasted some more money.
Organizing your purchases, warranties, and agreements is one way to combat this problem and probably save you a lot of money in the long run. Wouldn't it be smart to have all of this information in one place, pick up a book, turn to the right page and have all of that information in front of you?
Life can be simple if we organize it to make it that way. Then, all we have to do is follow the order that it is in. Keeping important information handy is the start to organizing your life the easy way.
Jan Hayner is a Professional Organizer that specializes in information management.
Take the Next Step:
- Get all your warranties & purchases together and get them organized to make life easier.
- Be aware of these 10 ways procrastination costs you.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 4 ways to pay off your mortgage earlier
- How much does it cost to cool your home?
- Monthly dishwasher maintenance that can help you save
- Natural spider control
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?