Homemade Fabric Freshener
Homemade Wrinkle Releaser
Homemade HE Detergent
Eliminating Mothball Odors
Homemade Fabric Freshener
Will one of your clever readers tell me (all of us) how to make homemade fabric freshener at home? There must be a very simple recipe for this fabric and upholstery freshener. Thanks so much!
Lisa in Utah
1 1/2 to 4 tablespoons Ultra Downy Clean Breeze fabric softener
25 ounces water
32 ounces spray bottle, new and clean
Put Downy and water in bottle and spray on furniture, carpeting, pillows, shower curtains, etc. To do a fabric test, spray small amount in an area where it cannot be seen.
I never sprayed this on anything white, but I spray it all over my house, once a week. I found this recipe on recipezaar.com
Another Simple Recipe
1 part fabric softener
1 part baking soda
2 parts water
Put baking soda into boiling water. When baking soda is dissolved, mix in fabric softener. When liquid is cool, put in spray bottle. That's it. To change the scent, just put in a few drops of essential oil such as lavender.
Christine in Quebec
Easy Recipe for Homemade Fabric Freshener
Fill a pint size spray bottle 3/4 full with warm water. Add 1 Tbsp. of ocean breeze scented fabric softener. Fill the rest of the bottle with rubbing alcohol. Shake before each use. This is the easiest recipe I have found.
Mix in a Little Vinegar
Here is a recipe for fabric freshener spray:
1 cup fabric softener
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups water (or as much as you want to dilute it but I wouldn't go less)
It works wonderfully and you can use whatever scent of the fabric softener you want!
Don't use apple cider vinegar. Also test a small spot (inconspicuous) first to make sure it doesn't leave spots. Make sure every time you spray, you shake the bottle first to mix everything up. When you first spray it on, it has a very small hint of vinegar smell. But as soon as it dries, all you smell is fabric softener. I don't think I would spray anything questionable like silk or leather furniture.
Environmental Insider Report
My husband is an environmental professional for over 50 schools and one of his jobs is to keep toxic chemicals out of classrooms. It is best to clean with vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, and it's a lot cheaper. Vinegar will remove odors. Just spray it on and when the vinegar smell evaporates, so will the other odors.
Try Crystal Wash. 1000 loads of laundry - no detergents, no dyes, no chemicals, no perfumes
Explore the Many Possibilities of Essential Oils
Homemade fabric freshener is very simple to make. You can select either fragrance oils or, my favorite, essential oils. Fill an amber glass bottle with "hot" water. Add 10 drops of either fragrance or essential oil to the bottle and shake it up. Leave it sit for 6 to 8 weeks in a dark area to impart all the nice smells. Using a coffee filter to catch the oil, filter the water and throw away the filter. The nice fragrance will remain in the water. If you are using essential oils, the aroma therapy properties of the oil will be imparted into the water as well. Use essential oils if there are allergies or sickness or if you just plain want a nice, natural scent in your home. Mix and blend different oils for that special blend you particularly like. Citrus oils remove most odors from the home, while floral leaves a light scent. If you want a real woodsy scent, try pine needle scents. There are a whole world of possibilities out there.
Take the Next Step
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
- Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Cleaning Recipes.
- For more on homemade fabric freshener or to share your own ideas, please visit The Dollar Stretcher Community.
- Homemade Room and Fabric Deodorizers
- Green Cleaning with Essential Oils
- It Stinks! - Deodorizing dry cleaning
- Removing Smoke Odors
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?