Easy House Cleaning
Cleaning Nicotine-Stained Grout
We need your help. We just purchased a home. The former people were chain smokers. The grout in the bathroom is now a gross orange-yellow color. Do you have a suggestion on how to clean it?
Smoker's Advice on Cleaning Grout
Both my husband and I smoke in the house, and we use Greased Lightning spray cleaner, which seems to dissolve all of the accumulated nicotine throughout the house. I have used it on things like curtain rods, mini-blinds, and the tile walls in the bathroom. I've been told by visitors that our house does not smell like smokers live here. As a matter of fact, smokers who visit are hesitant to light up. Greased Lightning spray cleaner is available at Home Depot and also Stop and Shop. Another option may be a cleaner with a bleach additive, or spray on diluted bleach, let sit, mop or wipe up.
Steam Clean Grout
When we bought our four-year-old home from a couple that must have hated cleaning floors, the grout on my otherwise beautifully tiled floor was the primary reason I started looking into different grout cleaning methods. The best way I found to clean grout was to go the local home improvement store (in my case, Home Depot) and rent a steam grout cleaner. It made for a full day's work, but when I was finished, my grout looked like new, even in the guest bathroom where it was the worst. With some new grout touch-up and a good sealer, my wife and I now love our tile floors.
Try Cleaning Grout with Bleach
Pour it straight on the walls of your shower and let it sit for an hour and then rinse off. Depending on how badly it's stained, you may want to scrub and then rinse off.
Mark and Suzie
Use Toilet Bowl Cleaner to Clean Grout
Get a gel type toilet bowl cleaner with bleach. Buy the kind that is advertised to "stick" to the bowl. I use that and apply it with a sponge to discolored grout or mildewed caulking and leave it overnight. The gel/liquid is thick enough to keep it in place. The next day I rinse it off with water and the grout is bleached white and the mildew is gone.
Cleaning Grout with Clorox
A Clorox Bleach Pen will "write" on the grout and remove the stains.
Kathryn in MLT, Washington
Clean Grout with No Nasty Fumes
Combine equal parts 3% peroxide and water in a spray bottle and spray on the grout and let it dry completely before rinsing. Depending on how heavy it is, it may take several applications. You can buy peroxide at your local dollar store, so if the stain is very heavy, you might want to make the first application straight peroxide and then dilute for subsequent applications. This works better than Tilex or bleach and has no nasty fumes!
The Cleaning Power of Vinegar
Try using white vinegar full strength for cleaning your grout. Put vinegar in a spray bottle, spray the grout and let it soak for a few minutes and then wipe or use a small hand brush to scrub it right off. This worked for me.
Budget Sensitive Grout Cleaning
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work great and are easy to use. If that's too pricey for your budget, put one cup of vinegar into a bucket of warm water. Dip an old toothbrush into the vinegar/water mixture and then into a box of baking soda (it will foam) and scrub grout. Rinse with vinegar/water mixture.
Take the Next Step:
- Read more ideas on how to clean your grout.
- Make sure you don't have a monster mildew problem.
- Learn other time and money saving tips in Dollar Stretcher Tips email newsletter.
Discuss "Cleaning Grout" with other Dollar Stretchers in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?