How to Clean Grout
Easy House Cleaning
Cleaning Nicotine-Stained Grout
We need your help. We just purchased a home. The former people were chain smokers. The grout in the bathroom is now a gross orange-yellow color. Do you have a suggestion on how to clean it?
Smoker's Advice on Cleaning Grout
Both my husband and I smoke in the house, and we use Greased Lightning spray cleaner, which seems to dissolve all of the accumulated nicotine throughout the house. I have used it on things like curtain rods, mini-blinds, and the tile walls in the bathroom. I've been told by visitors that our house does not smell like smokers live here. As a matter of fact, smokers who visit are hesitant to light up. Greased Lightning spray cleaner is available at Home Depot and also Stop and Shop. Another option may be a cleaner with a bleach additive, or spray on diluted bleach, let sit, mop or wipe up.
Steam Clean Grout
When we bought our four-year-old home from a couple that must have hated cleaning floors, the grout on my otherwise beautifully tiled floor was the primary reason I started looking into different grout cleaning methods. The best way I found to clean grout was to go the local home improvement store (in my case, Home Depot) and rent a steam grout cleaner. It made for a full day's work, but when I was finished, my grout looked like new, even in the guest bathroom where it was the worst. With some new grout touch-up and a good sealer, my wife and I now love our tile floors.
Try Cleaning Grout with Bleach
Pour it straight on the walls of your shower and let it sit for an hour and then rinse off. Depending on how badly it's stained, you may want to scrub and then rinse off.
Mark and Suzie
Use Toilet Bowl Cleaner to Clean Grout
Get a gel type toilet bowl cleaner with bleach. Buy the kind that is advertised to "stick" to the bowl. I use that and apply it with a sponge to discolored grout or mildewed caulking and leave it overnight. The gel/liquid is thick enough to keep it in place. The next day I rinse it off with water and the grout is bleached white and the mildew is gone.
Cleaning Grout with Clorox
A Clorox Bleach Pen will "write" on the grout and remove the stains.
Kathryn in MLT, Washington
Clean Grout with No Nasty Fumes
Combine equal parts 3% peroxide and water in a spray bottle and spray on the grout and let it dry completely before rinsing. Depending on how heavy it is, it may take several applications. You can buy peroxide at your local dollar store, so if the stain is very heavy, you might want to make the first application straight peroxide and then dilute for subsequent applications. This works better than Tilex or bleach and has no nasty fumes!
The Cleaning Power of Vinegar
Try using white vinegar full strength for cleaning your grout. Put vinegar in a spray bottle, spray the grout and let it soak for a few minutes and then wipe or use a small hand brush to scrub it right off. This worked for me.
SCOE 10X. THE Odor Eliminator that actually works. Read the reviews here.
Budget Sensitive Grout Cleaning
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work great and are easy to use. If that's too pricey for your budget, put one cup of vinegar into a bucket of warm water. Dip an old toothbrush into the vinegar/water mixture and then into a box of baking soda (it will foam) and scrub grout. Rinse with vinegar/water mixture.
Take the Next Step:
- Read more ideas on how to clean your grout.
- Make sure you don't have a monster mildew problem.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar!
- Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Cleaning Recipes.
See "Cleaning Grout" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?