courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I think I have a problem with my alternator. When I am driving, my voltage meter stays at or a little above 13. When I am just idling like when I start or stop at lights, it goes down to maybe a 9 or even a little less. AutoZone told me that my battery was okay when they checked it for me. I was also told that if it was an alternator going bad, it would have done it already. It has been doing this for a couple of months.
It could be getting weak. The alternator needs to spin at a minimum speed in order to make the correct voltage. Since you are noticing the decrease in voltage, it sounds like it's on its way out.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.