courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I think I have a problem with my alternator. When I am driving, my voltage meter stays at or a little above 13. When I am just idling like when I start or stop at lights, it goes down to maybe a 9 or even a little less. AutoZone told me that my battery was okay when they checked it for me. I was also told that if it was an alternator going bad, it would have done it already. It has been doing this for a couple of months.
It could be getting weak. The alternator needs to spin at a minimum speed in order to make the correct voltage. Since you are noticing the decrease in voltage, it sounds like it's on its way out.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?